May is National Stroke Awareness Month, and Cy-Fair Hospital wants you to be aware of the signs and symptoms of a stroke. During a stroke, quick detection and proper treatment can make a life changing difference. When this situation arrives, be sure you are taken to a facility in the Cy-Fair area that is highly recognized for treatment of both heart attack and stroke – Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital.
Time is Critical
With a heart attack or stroke, minutes matter. Knowing what symptoms to look for and reacting quickly may save your life and may increase your chance for a successful recovery. Call 911 immediately if you experience one or more of the following symptoms:
· Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
· Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
· Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
· Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
· Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
A Simple Test
If you suspect someone else may be experiencing a stroke, act FAST.
- Face – ask the person to smile – does one side of the face droop?
- Arms – ask the person to raise both arms – does one arm seem lower?
- Speech – ask the person to repeat a simple sentence – are the words slurred?
- Time – if the person shows any of these symptoms, time is important – call 911!
Advanced Stroke Care
The Stroke Team at Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital, a team of specially trained physicians, nurses and staff, is called to action when a patient is exhibiting symptoms of a stroke. The team consults with highly trained neurologists, called Specialists on Call, via an advanced telecommunications system, referred to as telemedicine, to review each stroke patient’s condition and to quickly establish a course of treatment with the qualified specialists. Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital is the only hospital in northwest Houston working with Specialists on Call for stroke treatment, an important factor in being able to offer quality stroke care to the community.
Free Preventative Stroke Screening
Everyone is potentially at risk for stroke—even you. But once you understand your risk factors, you can make lifestyle changes that can significantly reduce your risk. Find out if you are at risk for a stroke with a free preventive screening that includes total blood cholesterol, blood pressure, weight, body mass index, and a personalized stroke risk assessment.
Date: Saturday, May 29
Time: 8 to 11 a.m.
Location: Cy-Fair Professional Building Classroom, 11302 Fallbrook Drive
Call 800-681-2733 to reserve your spot today. Reservations are required and space is limited.