Why is blood management necessary?
• Improves patient safety by minimizing exposure to blood
• Reduces exposure to viruses and other blood borne diseases
• May reduce the risk of hospital acquired infections and complications
• May reduce length of stay in the hospital
• Conserves use of a precious community resource
• Reduces unnecessary patient care and hospital costs
When would a blood transfusion be recommended by my doctor?
A blood transfusion may be necessary when the body cannot produce blood quickly enough due to:
• Decreased blood cell production because of serious illness, medications, or chemotherapy
• Blood cell destruction caused by immune system reactions, diseases such as Sickle Cell Anemia, or complications to previous blood transfusions
• Significant blood loss caused by trauma or high blood loss surgery
To learn more about our Blood Management Program, call our Blood Management Coordinator, Leslie, at 281-897-3485.